Thursday, August 11, 2011

Week 4 Weigh In, 8.11.11 and... A Twist


Katie
So, this is how I'm going to to find out who our true blog followers are... Over the past couple of weeks, I have not worked out. How's that for uninspiring??  I also have been eating things that my 3 year old might choose (PBJ, crackers, waffles, etc,) instead of the smart, healthy choices of a full grown adult.  The reason for this is nausea. The reason for nausea is Baby #3.  Yeah....whoa.

So, let me see if I can answer a few questions that might come up:
  1. Was this planned? Not quite. We have considered a third, but felt our hands were full so the timing wasn't right.  Apparently God has another plan and we're embracing that.  I will say that I find it easier to embrace when I'm not gagging, but that's irrelevant.  We are happy and know that it will be an adventure.
  2. How far along are you? I'll be 9 weeks this Saturday and due March 17th. I was sick with Jack until 20 weeks but only 15 weeks with Ryan, so we'll hope for the best.  Especially since I'm heading to Haiti for a week on September 10th (prayers please!!!).
  3. You've ruined the name of the blog, Katie! How could you??!!  Believe it or not, I'm going to continue with the blog, but the focus will shift a bit.  Obviously, losing pounds will not be the goal.  However, in my past two pregnancies, I've eaten whatever (survival mode) during my morning sickness and then when I started feeling better, I never really shifted out of that phase, or did much working out.  I plan to blog about remaining healthy THROUGH this pregnancy and then as I work to lose the post-baby pounds. FOR GOOD.
So there's your twist! Fun, huh?  Your encouragement and love will be greatly appreciated through this journey.  Or, if you just feel inspired to come take my kids for a few days, that would always be welcome, too.  hee hee

Week 4 Weigh In:  176.0
+/- this week:  +0.6
Total loss: 2.6 lbs

Whitney


Quite a twist, huh? I bet you didn't see that one coming. Neither did we! But, that's what this blog is about. Real life. Life is full of surprises - sometimes daily! Whether it be a surprise party or a surprise pregnancy our goal is to learn how to make healthy choices in every life situation. I've found there is always a "valid" reason to eat whatever you want and gain weight. You don't have to look too hard to find some justification and get others around you to agree.  Here's some I've used:
I'm pregnant - it's a "craving". My son has brain cancer.  My husband travels a lot. I'm too busy to cook.  I'm starting a new diet tomorrow.  Hormones!! The antidepressants that I take make me hungry/gain weight. I've had a stressful day with the kids. I've done so well all week I deserve this... The list could go on and on. 

E X C U S E S. 
 
I've also found there is always a reason to celebrate on a monthly basis if not weekly! Between sugar-soaked holidays like Christmas, Valentine's Day, Easter, Mother's Day, Birthdays, & Halloween to the other food-focused holidays such as Thanksgiving, New Year's, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Memorial Day, kids birthday parties... - you get the picture.  The temptation to eat things that taste good but aren't good for us is never going to go away.  We must maneuver around these obstacles and stay on the healthy track. Surprises will come.  Nothing about this is easy. But, I do believe the longer we do it the easier it will get!

Speaking of not being easy, that just about sums up my first month of this weight loss journey. NOT EASY.  It hasn't been the temptations so much as it has been the discouragement of not seeing results on the scale given my efforts.  I'm realizing I don't know as much about food as I thought. Apparently I'm also addicted to processed foods & empty calories and I drink too much alcohol. All of this while still staying under my 1400 calorie a day goal doesn't amount to much weight loss.  This week I have ditched all alcohol at home and minimized my processed foods. I've tried to eat more during the day, more consistently and less at night.  Most days this week I was very happy with my choices. We have had various family members in town so I had a few drinks when we were out but this was minimal compared to my nightly glass/glasses of wine. And, I got all my work outs in!  With all these changes including a weigh in day change to Thursday, I was hopeful that the scale would be nice to me this morning. Guess what?? I weigh exactly the same as I did last week! I'm starting to think that I'm crazy for actually expecting this thing to work. And yet, I remain hopeful because tomorrow I will begin a 15 day juice fast which will include eating mostly raw fruits and vegetables. I found my missing juicer piece. Turns out I had it all along I had just put the darn thing together wrong! Nice. Just glad I "found" it. I really feel like I'm stuck and I am in serious need of a system reboot. I was really inspired by the documentary, "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" and I will be following thier reboot entry program which you can view here.

My main reasons for doing this juice fast are:
  • Detox from processed foods, sugar, salt, caffeine, alcohol, etc,..
  • Weight loss (thanks captain obvious).
  • Improve the way I feel cause I feel like Monkey Junk most of the time. By the way, Monkey Junk is bad. Very bad.
  • Crave and eat more fruits and veggies after the fast & eat healthier forever.
  • Possibly find healing through healthy food and be able to stop taking my medications for clinical depression,and ADHD.
  • Mentally detox from emotional eating.

I know this won't be easy but I am determined to do this. I've heard getting past day 3 is the toughest part. So please be praying for me. And please pray that God will speak to me during this time. Ultimately, I want healing from the inside out and I want to be free from the bondage of eating disorders. Bring on the healing & bring on the health! Looking good naked would be nice, too....

We really love your comments, feedback and advice. Seriously, you have been a wonderful encouragement to us!  Some of you have said you haven't been able to post comments on the website. I have no idea why that is - any suggestions from you other bloggers out there on how to remedy this?  We've also found that the email notification is a bit slow and inconsistent. For example, when I posted on Monday I didn't recieve the email of the post until Tuesday afternoon. Weird. Anyone still not getting emails even though you signed up? If so, please email us at: mysistersaloser@gmail.com and we'll try to get to the bottom of it. Thanks!

I'll be posting daily for the next 15 days. Cheers to health!!


Week 4 Weigh In:  172.0
+/- this week: 0
Total loss: 2.4 lbs



7 comments:

  1. Katie - Congratulations on your pregnancy! I'm still on the fence about #3 myself, so I'm curious to see how you cope with being healthy. I ate like a cow with my first two and that's something I worry about since I lost 60 lbs before getting pregnant nearly 5 yrs ago and am still working on getting it all back off.
    Whit - So sorry that the scale has not been encouraging as of yet. Our bodies are such an enigma with what works and what doesn't. I hope that the juice detox helps your body to get rid of the junk it's holding on to and you feel better. I love processed stuff too, but it does help after avoiding it for a while to just say no. :)

    Best of luck you two!
    <3 Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. yahoo to both of you!!! i started the veggie/fruit plan TODAY and i've realized i do NOT need to be sitting at home all day when i do this.. staying busy is the trick i think. i'm excited to be doing this with you! i'll email you some recipes.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whitney... I am so proud of you. I PROMISE you that you will FEEL so much better. When you want to pick up a cookie, think WWPCD (What would Pork-Chop Do) and put the darn cookie down. Your body is like a PC sometimes you need to upgrade to a new operating system. As for your Loser sister, Katie, although I have never met you, fruits and vegetables never hurt a fetus...

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATS KATIE!!!!!!!! so exciting!!!! can't wait to hear if youre having a boy or a girl :)
    whit--satan is trying DESPERATELY to get at you and with each day that you make good decisions (including taking thoughts captive), you stamp him under your feet!!!! your body is loving you and your Heavenly Father is loving more time with you, your desperation and your realization of how weak you are and how much you need Him! love ya girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whitney, Have you thought about checking out any of the nutrition classes at N:motion studio over in Mt. Pleasant? I haven't been to any of them, but I've heard good things :)
    http://nmotionstudio.org/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving this blog, girls. Katie - yay! The secret is out! I promise not to try to sabotage your eating healthy by always saying, "Eat what you want. You're pregnant." I need to learn to make healthier choices too. Whitney - best of luck to you with the juice fast. I will be praying for you to have determination and strength and that the Lord will reveal HImself to you during your fast. Lastly, I don't know why people can't comment, although it may be because they don't have a google or blogger account, but I do know why your emails don't go out until the next day. Somewhere there is a setting about when your emails are sent. Are you using feedburner? If so, try to poke around on the feedburner site and look at the various settings. You can change the time when it checks for a new post to email. You've probably been posting after the current time, so it waits until the next day, checks again, and then sees your new post. Hope that makes sense. Sorry for the LONG comment!

    ReplyDelete