Friday, September 9, 2011

Things Are Looking Up



Whitney
I'm sorry yesterday was such a depressing post from me. It was definitely a low day. And, I think I secretly wish that this blog would inspire others by our determination, dedication, and success. Instead I feel like it's been more like a play by play in slow motion of a car trying to start and then stalling out. Not too inspiring. But, I have once again reminded myself that this is about being real. There are probably more "stalled starts" people out there than the radically inspiring. But, I am not content to stay where I am cause being here is not fun! Success will come. The pounds will come off. The healthy eating will be permanent. I will not throw in the towel and I will not give up.

I have to say I am blessed with some pretty amazing family and friends. Thank you for your encouraging words and providing me with some hope. After a crying jag on the phone with my mom she told me to get to the closest local gym and join. NOW. Well, I have always been one to obey my parents (Ha!) but this time I did just that.  In the past, I've always belonged to a gym. I did step classes in college and even slide classes(taught by Mary Wannall!) - remember those? I did early morning body pump classes before work in my early married days and the list goes on and on. But, when Forester got sick with cancer I let my gym membership go. Let's face it. The gym is one of the germiest places on earth.  I couldn't risk exposing myself to the funk and then bringing it home to my son who had no immune system. Plus, financially we were rocked. That was two years ago. Though I'd like to think I can consistently work out at home I'm just not good at it.  I need to go somewhere. Show up. Once I show up I'm going to work out. But when I'm at home trying to choose between reading books to Slade or Jillian Michaels, Slade wins almost every time.  So... back to yesterday. I marched myself down to the gym close by (ESAC) and met up with a friend who is also a trainer there. She met me with a hug and a huge amount of hope and encouraging words. I left there with a new membership (that is affordable!) and a plan.  That sweet friend also let me join in one of her group training sessions this morning and kicked my booty! It was great!! I am going to sign up to do this group training at least once a week. And, she is going to help me with my food choices, too! I am really starting to grasp that I have deceived myself into thinking that I know how to eat healthy when really I've only had tricks and cheats to get weight off. On top of all that positive goodness, I have received several encouraging emails and texts and phone calls from you all. Thank you for picking me up when I was down. One special friend who also happens to be a dietitian was able to explain to me that I hadn't really gained 5 lbs in one week.  She wrote: "Any time you have large weight gains and for that matter large weight losses it is due to fluid losses or retention not fat gain or loss.  It is an unfortunate fact that anytime we cut out a nutrient or shift the nutrient intake significantly we will also have shifts in our body fluids." Good to know! And also what my friend and fellow juicer, Andrew, confirmed. (by the way, Andrew has been juicing for 58 days and has lost 50lbs! Check out his progress at: http://juicefatboyjuice.blogspot.com)

So, I continue in the journey with determination and lots of prayer. I'm ready to be healed up in this twisted area of my life and I'm going to continue to seek God for that healing!

Thanks for standing with me.

3 comments:

  1. You are awesome Whitney! I love your honesty & love that you're keeping us up on your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. Good stuff Sista Whitney. Work it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whitney, I absolutely love your blogspot name! I haven't read all of your posts - and you probably have addressed this in them, but it's also very motivational & educational to choose an online site to enter everything you eat. I have used caloriecount.com but Nate used another one and it seemed to have worked about the same. It's good because you get immediate feedback which helps with planning and choice selection. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete